California 3 Day Notice to Perform Covenant or Quit – Required Content


Sometimes, a tenant is current in their rent so you cannot evict them with a 3 Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit.  If they are violating a material lease term, then you may be able to begin the eviction process by serving your tenant with an alternate notice: a California 3 Day Notice to Perform Covenant or Quit.

Landlords can use this kind of notice if the tenant is violating terms in the lease or rental agreement and the problem can be fixed. For example, if the tenant has moved in a pet without permssion, or is not keeping the unit clean, or is violating some other term of the agreement, the notice must ask the tenant to correct the violation within 3 days or move out.

The notice must:

  • Be in writing;
  • Say the full name of the tenant or tenants;
  • Have the address of the rental property;
  • Say what the tenant did to violate the lease or rental agreement;
  • Say the tenant has the chance to fix the problem or move out in 3 days; and
  • Be signed by the landlord or his or her agent and state the date of the notice.

For additional information, visit the Law Office of David Piotrowski.

This entry was posted in Evictions and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.