Have you discovered Loss and/or Damage to your Household Goods Shipment?


If so, you should contact the mover immediately and notify them that you have lost and/or damaged goods and file a claim. Next, you should promptly:

  • Make a list of the items that are missing;
  • Make a list of the items that are damaged;
  • Take photographs of the damage (if possible take photographs before loading of your shipment and after unloading if there is damage);
  • Obtain cost for replacement value of items that are missing and/or damaged;
  • If the mover provides a claim form to you, complete and return the claim form along with the supporting documentation.

You have 9 months from the date of delivery to file your claim for loss and/or damage.  The mover has 30 days to acknowledge receipt of your claim and it then has 120 days to decide whether or not it will offer a settlement.

The Law Office of David Piotrowski has been publishing interstate household goods tariffs for years and can publish your tariff and customize it to fit your needs.

For help in publishing a household goods tariff, visit the tariff publishing page.

For more blog entries on household goods transportation issues, click this link: https://www.attorneydavid.com/blog/category/hhg/

This entry was posted in HHG and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply